Okay, so many of my watchers on deviantART are already aware of this, but last month I was scammed for thousands of dollars by a user named Pixlett / ToxicMutagen. (They both use the same PayPal address) Pixlett has since deactivated her account.
My account of the fraud:
Pixlett bought some artwork from me for very large sums of money. Then, a few months later, I notice that a couple grand went missing from my PayPal, because she filed a credit card chargeback against me, claiming that she never got the item. Obviously, it was digital artwork, so there was no physical item to ship. She did this for every single piece of artwork she bought from me, and even after backing myself up with a ton of evidence, PayPal ruled in her favor.
And now, today, it has happened AGAIN. Pixlett has filed MORE chargebacks against me, putting me into negative $2,000 in my PayPal account. I start school in a week and need money to pay for my new textbooks, supplies, and gas, but looks like that’s not gonna happen thanks to this fraud.
I have set up a PayPal Donation button on my page, where you can help me out. Even just a dollar helps. Small amounts add up quickly, and I need to get out of the negatives as soon as possible.
I apologize, because I never ask for help, but this is just beyond my capacity of fixing in such a short amount of time. Several other people were also affected by this scammer, so please consider helping them out too.
Thank you! ;u; If you have any questions or concerns, you can message me on here or on my dA.
FUCKING SIGNAL BOOST THIS
ALSO DO NOT TAKE COMMISSIONS OR SELL ADOPTABLES TO THE PERSON MENTIONED
also - wow … WOW .. I´m fucking mad about this person and paypal - this is really fucked up. this is really a slap in the face for digital artists …
Signal boosting, this is not cool.
Reblogging for relevance; this is terrible… and it seems to happen with alarming frequency; ourselves, as well as several other artists who deal in physical media were scammed on etsy last year the same way.
One of the complicating factors in a chargeback scam is that ultimately the decision lies with the credit card company (at least, this is what paypal told us). The cc company has zero reason to rule against their cardholder, who they will potentially lose as a client if they do.
One suggestion for those dealing in digital art: for high price point commissions, send a USB with the file through registered mail. Its STILL not a guarantee against fraud, but it gives you extra proof of delivered goods at least.
So sorry that the OP is going through this!
Signal boost because chargeback scammers are bottom feeding scum.
Purchasing & selling commissioned artwork is a commonplace event that happens everyday all over the internet! I thought I’d put together this quick guide (based on my experiences as both an artist & a client) on how to get the most out of commissioned artwork - whether you are the one purchasing…
Very good advice!
Your job centre advisor tells you that emailing your CV to a company is not enough; you must physically hand over a paper copy too. You must also provide printouts of all emails to your advisor. You cannot afford this - you do not have your own printer - so are told to give the advisor access to your personal email account. You check with another advisor who tells you to do as the first advisor required.
Source: GamerInfo at MoneySavingExpert
Uh no. I would bring up that that is a direct invasion of privacy and illegal. That they can get copies of my cv and all emails on a flash drive or forwarded TO THEM from my account.
Then I’d go talk to a lawyer.
Inspired by every student whose told they can’t be an artist because it doesn’t “make enough money”.
This is literally so inspirational to me right now.
I needed this really badly right now.
Money will not follow you to heaven. Your happiness will.
Amen to this post!
What if you need money to do what you love?
Also what I do all day is stare aimlessly at a computer screen and avoid talking to anybody. Pretty sure that’s not cash worthy. LOL
maybe some of my other stuff is, idek
Woo Hoo!! I have now hit 1000 followers here on Tumblr! Thank you guys so much for supporting me and my art. As promised, I have a pretty epic contest in store for you all.
About the Contest
This summer, I will be unveiling my new online sculpture class over on Skillshare.com. It will largely follow the same format as my book, Creature Sculpt, but will be video based. It will also have a forum where you can interact with other students as well as myself!
In April, I will be filming content for this class. I will be creating several different sculptures during the various demonstrations. I already have a few designs in mind, but I thought it would be cool to use a character designed by one of my viewers too! And this is where the contest comes in.
I am looking for your coolest, original character and creature designs to base one of my class sculptures off of! Most all original characters are eligible, but I am NOT looking for human/humanoid characters as my class is going to be animal and creature based. These must be 100% original designs and not fandom-based in any way. I will select the design I find the most interesting and/or will best help me to demonstrate my sculpting techniques.
What You Can Win
* The winning character will be featured in my sculpting class, and the artist will be credited to the design.
* The winner will also be given the chance to have the finished sculpture shipped to them, free of all costs except for shipping and packing (to be paid via PayPal).
* In addition, the winner will get free entry into my new class!
How to Enter
* Follow me, emilySculpts, here on Tumblr.
* Reblog this post, leaving the original text and image intact.
* To your reblog, add your personal entry information. This should include up to 5 images of your original character as well as any supplemental text. You may include pose sketches or composition ideas as well if you have any sculpture-specific ideas. Turnaround sheets are helpful but not required.
* You may enter as many times as you’d like. Multiple characters are allowed in each reblog. Or if you come up with another idea after your first entry, you may reblog the post again.
Official Rules, Please Read in Full
* Entries will be accepted through April 1, 2014. I will close polls that evening at 11:59 EST.
* Winner will be announced on April 5, 2014. Please be certain to watch your feed and messages on this day. I will make a public post announcing the winner and will also message the winner privately. If you do not claim your prize within 48 hours, I reserve the right to choose a new winner.
* Entries MUST be submitted on Tumblr via a reblog of this post. No other entries will be accepted, no exceptions.
* Character must be your own, original creation. No fan-based characters will be accepted.
* Sorry, no human/humanoid characters this time. This is for a creature and animal based class.
* Submissions must be art-based; no lengthy text descriptions or stories. (Short textual explanations of certain aspects are fine.)
* You may submit art that someone else has created of your character so long as proper credit is given. Also be sure to receive permission from the artist before posting their work.
* While you may make suggestions, I will be determining the final pose, setting and size of the sculpture.
* I reserve the right to use my own artistic license to change certain aspects of your character to meet the needs of my class. I may also make overall style changes.
* I reserve the right to use photos and videos of the sculpture while it is both in progress and completed in any way I see fit. This will include virtual classroom use as well as advertisement.
* I will not claim any sort of rights to your character and you will be credited as the creator where appropriate (ie, in the video or class credits).
* If you want me to ship you the finished sculpture, you will be responsible for covering all necessary shipping and packing costs. These costs will vary depending on where you live, but will generally be around $30-70. This MUST be paid for via PayPal.
* If no suitable characters are submitted, I reserve the right to not pick a winner. But I don’t see that happening :)
Suggested Reading for Freelance Creatives
I am a bit of a bibliophile…. Okay more then a bit. It’s always a toss-up for me, do I cover the walls in art or books? I even have the kindle download on any computer I use regularly. I need my book-based resources at my fingers tips. I don’t know what…
Thumbtack: Local-Freelancer Service Finder
I’m always on the look-out for new income streams. I learned a long time ago that seven small…
Review: The Truth About HTML5 eBook
Book Cover Image © Luke Stevens – used here only for visual informational purposes.
I have a…
I’ve been getting a lot of these lately, and I guess I just want you all to know what I think when I read them.